Monday, February 7, 2011

Contact Information

On February 24th I will be flying to Philadelphia for some initial orientation, and then early on the 26th comes the long flight from New York to Johannesburg, and then a quick hop to Lilongwe, Malawi, arriving on the 27th.
Training in Malawi will last about nine weeks and consist of language learning and technical skills. I will be staying with a Malawian host family for most of that time. In late April I plan to swear in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer (until then I will be a "Trainee") At that point I will move out to my site, where I will be spending two years.

During training I will have no access to e-mail or internet, so I would really appreciate any snail mail, even just a quick letter :-)

My address is:
Elizabeth Karman, PCT
Peace Corps
PO Box 208
Lilongwe, Malawi
Africa
AIR MAIL

Letters currently cost $.98 to mail from the US. 
This PO box is for the Peace Corps main offices, and I will be able to pick up mail there when I am in Lilongwe. After I move out to my site I may get my own PO box that is closer, but mail sent to the above address will still get to me. I will update this if and when I have a new, closer address. 

Here is what the Peace Corps says regarding mail:

---Mail takes a minimum of two to three weeks to arrive, often longer. The Peace Corps advises friends and family to number their letters (so I will know if any are missing or out of order), and include "Air Mail" and "Par Avion" on their envelopes. Packages take six to nine weeks for airmail, and surface mail packages take around six months. If someone is sending you a package, it's advisable to keep it small and use a padded envelope so it will be treated as a letter.---

I went to the post office to price postage- padded envelopes are also much cheaper than boxes to mail! Currently a flat rate international large envelope is $13.95.

Some other Peace Corps web sites and books recommend writing the address in Red ink, and also writing religious symbols or scriptures on the package. 

After I have been in Malawi for six months, I will have to start paying duty on packages valued over $20, which I have heard is very expensive and would eat up most of my salary- so when filling out customs forms, keep this in mind. I would love any package- it's the thought that counts, right?

Many friends have also asked how they can pray during this time- please pray for a safe journey, ease of language learning, and protection from disease, especially stomach problems. Thank you!

Grace and Peace-

Elizabeth Karman

No comments:

Post a Comment