Sunday, May 15, 2011

Elizabeth goes on Med Hold

So in the two and a half weeks since I arrived at my site in Chiwamba, I have been sick all but about five days. It started as a cold, which morphed into a coughy- tight- chest thing. Being sick is no fun when you have to draw your own water and cook over fire- no spending the whole day in bed! Plus it was frustrating to finally be somewhere where I could actually do something and instead feel too weak :-(
After starting on some antibiotics last week, I felt better for long enough to walk out to some of the nearby villages where the HSA's were doing child nutrition campaigns. I helped measure children to screen for malnutrition while the HSA's gave out vitamin A and mebendazole for worms. We were able to identify several malnourished children who were then referred back to the Health Centre for supplemental feeding. After about three days of this, though, I started feeling crummy again. Two nights ago I had a fever and called the doc bac, who had me come into Lilongwe first thing yesterday morning.
I hitched out from my village to the main road with some missionaries (thank you!!!) and rode in the back of a truck into town (not fun- we were stopped at a police checkpoint for almost an hour...). The doc found me lying on the steps outside the clinic, out of breath. Some new meds and a bit of IV fluids later, I felt a little better. I told the doc that I hadn't eaten in two days and he took me out for a milkshake!!
So I will be in Lilongwe for a few days until I am fully recovered.
And then....hopefully....starting actual work in Chiwamba...

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,
    I've been gobbling up Malawi PCV blogs all day, and leaving comments, so rest assured you even have non PCV readers :). My partner is about to begin PC service in Malawi, and will be there in June. Obviously, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about his potential life, and am looking for as many perspectives and stories and correspondences that I can. First, I have to say that I'm sorry you're ill - I've heard that it's certainly something possible for many people beginning service in a new country (well, for many people who travel across the world anywhere, for that matter). If time permits, and if you are willing, I'd like to know if, as you get better and whenever you have access, allow me to correspond briefly with you about your experiencing this transition? I'm eager to be as supportive as possible! My e-mail is paul.mitchell@ou.edu. If not, rest assured I'll be keeping track of yours and other Malawi PCV bloggers in the future! Thanks, (and get well soon)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete