Tuesday, October 19, 2010

MALAWI BOUND!!!!

Got my invite today, more info to come, but I wanted to post ASAP- invited to Malawi, staging FEB. 24!!

K, now the dust has settled here is some more info- first of all, Malawi has always been my first choice. I tried to keep a really open mind, but Malawi was the one I was always pulling for. Considering the my nomination changed from Jan to Feb due to a medical restriction makes it all the more special and amazing to me that I got my secret first pick :-)
I had been told that PC FedEx'd invite packages, so all day I had been listening for a delivery person to be buzzed in to my building. Finally around three I decided it wouldn't hurt if I left my apartment for a second to get my mail, and of course, there it was. It had been delivered by the postal service. It was sent on the 14th and arrived in Seattle on the 19th. Pretty quick. I promised myself I would wait and open it with my parents, so I called and told them the good news. I started to put on some makeup and noticed that my hand was shaking. Forget makeup then! I drove the half hour to their house and ripped open the kevlar-sealed-with-cement-envelope, scanned the top sheet and went right to the country name in BOLD. Malawi. MALAWI. Malawi, I said, to my parents. That was my first choice....Malawi. My mom got out her beach ball globe and found Malawi, and I started tearing up. this was really happening.
My official Job Title is Community Health Advisor, in the Community Health HIV and AIDS Program. Staging is Feb 24-25, Training in Malawi begins Feb 27, 2011.
What a wonderful day :-)
Grace and Peace-
Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Oh congrats on your invitation! YAY for Malawi! And yay for getting your secret first choice. I definitely almost teared up when I got my nomination - it seems to be a pretty common trend.

    You will be GREAT! Have fun getting ready!

    ReplyDelete