Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Waiting time = time for spinning

I read another Peace Corps blog (can't remember the name), that described RAS- Restless Applicant Syndrome. In my second week since getting medical clearance, without hearing anything from placement, I am fighting the urge to recheck my applicant toolkit every fifteen minutes. In an attempt to keep my fingers busy and not hitting refresh on my keyboard, I have been spinning and knitting even more than usual this week.
Habu Stainless Steel/ Wool yarn
Today I am experimenting with Habu wool/ stainless steel yarn. It is a laceweight (really thin) yarn, made of 75% wool, 25% stainless steel. I spun some naturally grey Romney wool and plied one of each type for a nice boucle yarn with a strange little "memory" due to the tiny stainless steel thread. I think it will probably be a nice cardigan by next week, provided I haven't heard from placement
Unspun Romney
One Strand of Each











I am also editing a pattern for a different cardigan made from handspun. My goal is to have this finished and posted as a free pattern on Ravelry in a week or two, so stay tuned...
Are there any more crafty/ knitty Peace Corps applicants/ volunteers out there??

2 comments:

  1. i'm on my third week without hearing from placement. sooooooo fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a quilter who received medical clearance September 15th. No word from placement, and no legal clearance yet. I'm working on a tumbling blocks baby quilt to try to preserve my sanity.

    ReplyDelete