Thursday, October 14, 2010

News and Speculation

I got a call from my placement officer this morning, (who was quite pleasant, BTW, which was the cherry on top of my exuberance at finally having contact with DC). Based on reading lots of other blogs, I was expecting to get some questions, maybe resubmit an essay, or at least fax in an updated resume, but NOPE :-). She just cheerily said that my file was looking good and she didn't need anything else. One small change though, she said that a medical restriction precluded the location for which i was originally nominated (Sub- Saharan Africa, January 2011, Health degreed). Momentary heart stoppage at hearing this!!! But she went on to say that I could be part of another program, still Sub Saharan Africa, still Health Degreed, leaving "mid to late February". Was I ok with this, she asked? Ummmm, yeah. Yes yes yes yes yes. And was I ok with riding a bicycle? Oh yeah a million times over! (Note to self- switch form elliptical machine to stationary bike at the gym) She verified my current address and said to expect to receive my invitation in about a week.
This afternoon I had not yet received any e-mail notification from the PC, so I checked my toolkit and it hadn't changed. I'm thinking (and hoping) that this is just a technicality, since she specifically told me that my invitation was on the way.
Now here's the rub- I had thought for sure that I was headed to South Africa- since last year they were pretty much the only African country to stage in January. But why would I be medically barred from South Africa, since that is where all PCVs in Africa get medivac'd to and has such great infrastructure in the cities???? Who knows. Now I truly have no clue where I am headed since there are at least 5-6 other Sub Saharan departure dates for February. Or Maybe South Africa is going to be staging in February after all?
Bottom line- my invitation will almost definitely be a total surprise.
Any thoughts?
Off to work the night shift tonight.... have to think about my patients and not about that thick envelope that is on it's way...
MINOR UPDATE- at about 2 am my profile was officially changed to reflect that my invitation is in the mail.

4 comments:

  1. Hi and Congratulations! Looking at peace corps wiki timeline your invitation could be for Uganda. Maybe some other program they haven't been inviting people to yet.

    I'm Heidi, and I'm waiting to be cleared medically with a nomination for SSA January 2011 Health Degreed (we could've been buddies!). My seasonal allergies are pretty intense (read I take 3 medications) but are manageable. I was curious what your medical restriction was, mostly if it related to medications at all. You can answer yes or no to that, feel free to email me at haemae at gmail or tell me to butt out of your life ;)

    That IS weird that you're not going to South Africa, or that they're leaving in February again this year. Hmmm the mystery. Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing where your invitation is for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! Congrats, I like seeing the Jan/Feb invites going underway that means mine could come soon :D. Congrats again, we may also be buddies I'm community development in Sub Saharan Africa for either late Jan or late Feb. Can't wait to see where you end up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth!
    I have been reading blogs and info for months trying to decide if PC is right for me, and have to desperate to find a nurse who is going through the process! I'm an ER nurse and also community programing in women's health and am really wanting to get out and expand with peace corp! I'm nominated for SSA in Jan...are you concerned with keeping your license active while in PC? As I write it seems silly and is a small worry compared to all the amazing experiences PC would bring...would love to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate-
    It has crossed my mind once or twice about RN licensure while I am in the PC. I was told vaguely (I think by my recruiter) that it "shouldn't be a problem", but I obviously need more specifics. fortunately my renewal notice arrived just last week, so I will be making some phone calls and will post when I find out anything. I definitely still want to work as an RN when I return,so I'm sure there is some way to make it work. There are actually three returned PCV's on my unit, but all volunteered before they were nurses. I think any nurse (especially ED, gosh, you guys are amazing) has more than adequate skills to roll with the punches of life as a volunteer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete